If you run your own business, then there are numerous ways to help make it a success. For many entrepreneurs now, this will mean taking advantage of the cutting-edge digital marketing methods around. Digital marketing, which is simply marketing that happens online, can really help you connect with more potential customers and drive leads along with sales. From email marketing to social media marketing, there are probably a few online marketing channels that sound familiar to you.
One that you may not have come across before is SEO – just what is this, and why should you be using it in your own business?
What is SEO for business?
Standing for search engine optimisation, SEO is the process of ranking higher in search engine results pages. It is important to note that SEO is different from using another digital marketing method, paid advertising. In SEO, you take measures to improve your ranking in the standard listings that come up when people search for things online. By increasing your visibility in these primary results, you will increase your visibility and your business’s brand awareness.
How does it work?
When you begin to look into it, SEO is actually quite a varied marketing tool. The ways that it can be implemented include:
- Internal and external link-building
- Optimising content on a company website or blog
- Optimising images on a company website or blog
- Making sure that fresh, relevant content is regularly shared on a company website or blog
- Editing meta tags and descriptions
- Editing and optimising HTML code that sits behind your site or blog pages
The above is not an exhaustive list of what SEO can do, but merely gives a general flavour of what it is about.
What benefits does SEO deliver for business?
Why is SEO so important? Let’s take a look at why you should be using it in your business and how it can help:
- Defends your brand online – one key aspect to SEO for business is how it can help to protect your online reputation. With so many people using the internet to search for information that they then base decisions on, this is vital. Modern services including Reputation Defender help to manage the content that is available about your brand online and adjust the search engine results in turn. Doing this helps more people see the true story about your brand and why they should choose your services.
- Reach more people – the fact is that most people only look at the first page of search engine results when they are hunting for a service or product. If your business is not found there, they will not see you and not spend money with you. Ideally, you want to be the first result showing as this means that more people will click on you.
- Helps to drive improvements – when used properly, SEO will actually help to improve your company website and any blog you have there. The updates you make for SEO purposes will normally make it more user-friendly and also ensure that there is always something new for visitors to look at. SEO will usually also involve making your site navigation and layout as easy to use as possible, which will make your website much more popular with people.
- Low-cost results – all marketing efforts rely on getting the best return on your investment. As organic SEO is low cost to implement, you are maximising your return and not spending too much initially. Other forms of search engine marketing such as Google Ads are valid but will need much more money to make successful. SEO will give you a long-lasting and much less expensive way to drive traffic to your website.
- Builds trust in your business – by making sure that you rank as highly as possible in search engine results, you are also ensuring that you stand out as a name that has credibility. The major search engines have tremendous power over how people will perceive you and how likely they are to do business with you. If you are stuck on page five of the SERPs then, even if they do see you, consumers will have a hard time trusting you. On the other hand, a business that ranks higher will be one in which people feel a sense of trust.
Let SEO help your business grow
As the above shows, there are some great reasons to start using SEO as a marketing tool if you do not already. By taking it on board, you will be able to not only reach more people but also protect your valuable online reputation. Whether you opt to call in an expert external company or go it alone, SEO is a worthwhile business choice.